BICESTER AND DISTRICT AUNT SALLY LEAGUE


Annual General Meeting

26th January 2017

held at The Shakespeare, Bicester


Apologies: Robbie Bryant (Muddy Duck), Brian Gough (White Lion A), Trevor Barnett (Prince of Wales), Jon

Vaile (Brill S&SC B)


  1. Welcome


Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again. 34 this time.


He also explained that, whilst those in attendance were generally there to look after the interests of their own teams, the suggestions that he had emailed earlier in the month were intended to be for the benefit of the league as a whole and asked that they be considered as such when discussed later in the meeting.


  1. Minutes of the last meeting - It was agreed that the minutes produced were a true record of the meeting on 28th January 2016.


  1. Finance


Keith Skinner produced a copy of the accounts which were distributed to those in attendance.


  1. Election of officers


Nomination Proposer Seconder


Chairman/MC George Deans Eddie Gordon Martin Wanless) Proposed, seconded

Secretary Phil Allen Eddie Gordon Martin Wanless) and voted for en bloc

Treasurer Keith Skinner Eddie Gordon Martin Wanless)


  1. Constitution of the League


The Abingdon Arms, Beckley pulled out of the league just two days before the 2016 season was due to commence. Because of previous interest shown by them, The Kings Arms, Bicester and The Plough, Bicester were approached but both felt that they didn’t have sufficient time to get players and equipment together. So, after much chasing around, the KEA Club agreed to join and the league operated with 47 teams.


It is hoped that we can reach 48 this season; however, the Poachers Pocket has closed and there is some doubt over the Launton S&SC A team continuing.


The Shakespeare would like to join and will be advertising within the pub for players.


In previous seasons when we’ve had 44 teams we have operated with 3 divisions of eight teams and 2 of ten teams. This has then meant that those in the divisions of ten have not been able to enter the singles and pairs competitions because each week has been taken up with a league match. It was suggested that we should do whatever we can to operate with divisions of eight and, should there be a shortfall in a division (it will be in the lower division(s)), then we insert a bye (or two). This would then allow players to enter the singles and pairs.


It was explained by the secretary that it wasn’t possible to say at the meeting which team would be in which division. This cannot be done, of course, until the completed registration forms have been returned to the secretary.


Discussions took place relating to the emails sent out earlier in the year about promotion and relegation, averages and bonus points.


  • the current promotion and relegation method was preferred over the averages suggestion.

  • and the idea of bonus points awarded to teams in Division One for reaching a pre-set leg target score did not receive a favourable response.



It was proposed by Eddie Gordon, and seconded by George Deans, that, as stated previously, without knowing for sure who’s entering, the formulation of the league and its divisions cannot possibly be done at this stage and needs to be left to the secretary. With all his experience, he must be allowed to amend as he sees fit - ie should teams drop out and/or be replaced.


Registration forms were available at the meeting and taken by team reps. For those not in attendance, they will be sent out or emailed in the next few days.


  1. Fixtures/Cup Competitions


The 2017 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 26th April.


As in recent years, there will be no free weeks in the fixtures – unless, of course, it’s a cup week and teams have already been knocked out.


The “divisional” singles and pairs competitions have proven over the last couple of seasons to be a great success and will continue this time round.


With regard to the Plates finals last season being on the same night as the singles/pairs and four-a-side semis and going on too late, that will be changed this coming season.


  1. Amendments to Rules


The only change to the rules for the forthcoming season is the year in the title – from 2016 to 2017.


  1. Any other business


The secretary thanked Hook Norton Brewery for supporting the League last year and confirmed that he had spoken to the rep about continuing to do so next season. She has already replied saying they will continue.


Terry Hawkins pointed out that there are still far too many foot faults and asked teams to “erect” a four-inch high oche.


Adam Lazaruk (Chearsley Cricketers) announced that, last season they were supporting The Maggies Centre at the Churchill Hospital and, at each of their matches, they had a “collection bucket”. They managed to raise £287.00. Many thanks to all who contributed.


Alison Simmons and John Walman are leaving The Hundred Acres at the end of January, moving up to the Manchester area. In her “farewell speech” to the secretary, Alison stated “We want to thank you for your brilliant work buddy; you do an amazing job and it is the best run league, for any sport that I have ever played in”. Brought a tear to the secretary’s eye!


Eddie Gordon followed this up with similar comments of his own and, as a repayment for the amount of work and dedication put in by the secretary, he proposed that the league donate £100.00 to him. This was seconded by George Deans.



********************************************************************************************************************************************************

22nd September 2016
2016 AGM - INDOOR LEAGUE

The AGM for the Indoor League was held on Tuesday evening and the minutes are below. For those who were there, have a look and, if you don't agree with them, please let me know.

  1. Welcome - Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and was very saddened to hear how ill Bob Hook is.

  1. Finance - The secretary/treasurer produced a copy of both the accounts and the bank statement.

It was agreed by all that Phil Allen takes back the £35.00 which he paid out of his own pocket for the bank fine in 2015 for a “bounced cheque”.All were happy with that and the paperwork was a true record.
  1. Election of officers - Phil Allen will continue as both secretary and treasurer.

  1. Constitution of the League - Launton Sports Club will replace The White Hart. The Highfield Social Club team withdrew halfway through last season and was replaced by a couple of players who called themselves “The Unwanted”. They’ve now got a full team and will continue this coming season. So the league will be:

Misfits Black Bull White Horse

Ashton Club Bell Ex Services

Launton SC Unwanted

  1. Fixtures/Cup Competitions - The 2016 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 19th October.

Wanting to extend the season a little longer, it was requested that another competition be considered. Andy Lincoln is willing to sponsor it and the way it would work is:
  • A team knockout competition. The draw to be made on the night.

  • A team of five players. Drawn “out of a hat”, one pair from one team would play a pair from the other team (also drawn out of the hat), then the next game would be a singles match of one player from each team (again randomly drawn). And the remaining two players from each team, to play each other.

  • All three legs to be played by each pair/single, and, as in all indoor games, two points for a win and one for a draw – making a total of 18 points up for grabs.

  • Because of the possibility of a draw (9 points each), before the match starts, each team captain is to nominate one player from his/her team to play an opponent in a best of three legs singles play-off.

Don’t know what to call it yet – how about “The 2.5 pairs knockout”?!

  1. Any other business - After much discussion and deliberation, should a team pull out during the course of the season, the secretary is to deduct points from all teams who have played that withdrawing team, since the last time every team had played them – difficult to explain but I’m sure those who were at the meeting will understand!.

The match start times have been amended and will now be as follows:


7.45 8.20 8.55 9.30

With the league fixtures starting on 19th October, a practice night will be held the Wednesday before – ie on the 12th.

Billy Atwell will collect the weekly match fees and result sheets.

It was emphasised that teams must be more punctual and ready to start as soon as the previous game has finished.

The Fixtures List can be found on our 'Indoor' page. A practice night will be held on 12th October and the league games will start the following week.

 

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

 

Annual General Meeting - Summer League

28th January 2016

held at The Lion, Wendlebury

 

            Apologies:  Robbie Bryant (Muddy Duck), Ted Houlihan (White Lion A), Clive Griffin (Fountain A), Dave Smith

       (Ashton Club), Ian Lee (White Lion A), Adam Lazaruk (Chearsley Cricketers)

 

1.     Welcome

Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again.  Seems to be increasing from season to season – 33 this time. 

2.     Minutes of the last meeting

       It was agreed that the minutes produced were a true record of the meeting on 29th January 2015. 

3.     Finance

Keith Skinner produced a copy of the accounts which were distributed to those in attendance. 

4.     Election of officers

 

Nomination                  Proposer                      Seconder

 

                   Chairman/MC         George Deans               Billy Atwell                    (Eddie Gordon)   Proposed, seconded

                   Secretary               Phil Allen                      Billy Atwell                    (Eddie Gordon)   and voted for en bloc

                   Treasurer                Keith Skinner                Billy Atwell                    (Eddie Gordon)


                   The secretary did emphasise that the officers are now “getting a little long in the tooth” and the membership

may wish to consider replacements in the next couple of years or so.

5.     Constitution of the League

The Black Boy at Oving will not be taking part this season. 

George Deans did say that the White Hart Originals may not continue playing next season; he will try to find out a little more.

It is believed that the Bull and Butcher at Ludgershall will be closing/changing hands fairly soon and may not enter; John Vaile (Brill S&SC) will check on this and, if they don’t, he’ll approach The Pheasant in Brill.

The Swan, Islip will be returning to its original venue up the hill at the Red Lion.

The Chandos Arms, Oakley and Brill Sports and Social Club (2 teams) have shown an interest in coming across from the Oxford League.  In the proposed constitution (copy attached), the secretary has done everything possible to accommodate them.

The Butchers Arms, Fringford and the Abingdon Arms, Beckley also wish to join the league.

Based on the expectation of having 48 teams this season, after a great deal of work, the secretary produced two versions of the “Proposed Constitution of the League”; one based on leg averages and the other on geographical locations.  These were discussed at great length and the one favoured most was the geographical version – copy attached.  It was proposed by Eddie Gordon and seconded by George Deans that this be accepted by the membership, with the proviso that the secretary be allowed to amend as he sees fit - ie should teams drop out and/or be replaced.

Registration forms were available at the meeting and taken by team reps.  For those not in attendance, they will be sent out or emailed in the next few days.

6.     Fixtures/Cup Competitions

The 2015 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 20th April.

As in recent years, there will be no free weeks in the fixtures – unless, of course, it’s a cup week and teams have already been knocked out.

The introduction of the “divisional” singles and pairs competitions last season proved a great success and will continue this time round.  Again, if we manage 48 teams (six divisions of eight), it will mean we will have more singles and pairs, with the end result that we will have extra finals to accommodate at the end of season.

Again, if we have six divisions, we will introduce an additional team knockout cup competition.  That will then mean that the Supplementary Cup will not have or require (as in previous seasons) a Preliminary Round.  Each Knockout Cup competition will have 16 teams in it – much easier to operate.

7.     Amendments to Rules

The only change to the rules for the forthcoming season was the year in the title – from 2015 to 2016.

8.     Any other business

The secretary thanked Hook Norton Brewery for supporting the League last year and confirmed that he had spoken to the rep about continuing to do so next season.  She will discuss it with the powers that be at her end and come back to the secretary.

The secretary stated that, as he did last year, he will produce a “Matchday-type” programme for Finals Night and has asked for any contributions – humorous/factual articles or photographs – to be forwarded to him.

The standard of some of the throws (lighting and backsheets generally) could do with some improvement; the secretary will put together and email out a list of suppliers for the various bits of equipment.

Kieran O’Brien asked for a copy of the Rules.  Secretary will send them out.

Mike Leonard stated that The Lion, Wendlebury are willing to accommodate another team if anyone’s looking for a home.

Eddie Gordon pointed out that a very experienced, senior aunt sally player who has played in a number of leagues in his many years in the game, considers our Finals Night (held at the Black Bull Launton for the past 4 seasons) to be the best he’s ever attended – the perfect venue and very well organised.  Many thanks to all involved.

Eddie Gordon, backed up by the treasurer, suggested that the landlord of the Finals Night venue be approached with a view to making a financial donation to the league.

Terry Hawkins pointed out that there are still far too many foot faults.  After discussion, it was believed that the best way to handle it – without causing too much bad feeling – is to ask team captains to keep an eye on their own players and have a word with transgressors.

Martin Wanless requested that consideration be given to ensuring that entrants in the Singles, Pairs and Four a Side competitions do not get drawn out to play on their own pitch.  This could prove very complicated and difficult to operate but will be looked at.

It was also suggested that in these competitions, depending, of course, on how many entrants there are, that we start a little earlier.  Again, that will be looked at.

There are far too many teams who are either not submitting the Result Card on time or notifying the secretary if the game has been called off.  The Rules do state “The winning team captain is responsible for sending in the result.  The result card must be posted first class within 24 hours of the match being completed in order to reach the Secretary by the Saturday following the match.”  There is also a template provided and available to be downloaded from the website so that the results can be emailed.  With the technology available these days, an emailed copy of a photograph of the card or the score board are also acceptable.  There really are NO excuses.  In future, if the result is not received within 7 days of the game being played, then both teams will lose points.  This, of course, will also punish the losing team – so, let me suggest that both teams keep a record or take a photograph of the scores.

Keith Skinner asked for sponsors for the extra Singles and Pairs competitions.  If anyone would like to participate, please give the secretary a call.

 

Proposed Constitution (28th January)

 

 

Premier Division                                                                       Leg average       Yes/No

 

1.     Launton S&SC A                                                                                                    23.4                        

2.     White Lion A                                                                                                          22.9                                        

3.     Black Bull A                                                                                                           18.3                                                             

4.     Shakespeare                                                                                                         15.5                              

 

Division One

                                                                                                                 

5.     Crown A (Charlton on Otmoor)                                                                             16.2                                                              

6.     Nut Tree                                                                                                                  15.1

7.     Black Bull B                                                                                                            15.0                        

8.     Muddy Duck                                                                                                           14.0                                        

 

Division Two

 

9.     Highfield SC A                                                                                                       16.6                        

10.   Bell                                                                                                                        14.0                                        

11.   Bull Launton                                                                                                          13.3                                              

12.   The Lion, Wendlebury                                                                                          13.0                                              

13.   Red Lion, Finmere                                                                                                 13.0                                              

14.   Ashton Club                                                                                                          12.5                        

15.   White Horse B                                                                                                       11.8        

16.   Barley Mow                                                                                                           11.3                        

 

Division Three          

 

17.   Brill S&SC B                                                                                                           15.8

18.   Red Lion, Islip                                                                                                        13.7

19.   Highfield SC B                                                                                                        13.5

20.   Bull & Butcher B                                                                                                     12.7

21.   Ex Services                                                                                                            11.8

22.   White Horse A                                                                                                        11.8

23.   Prince of Wales                                                                                                      11.5

24.   White Hart Originals (or Wanderers?) (or Red Cow?)                                          10.0

 

Division Four

 

25.   Brill S&SC A                                                                                                           13.5                        

26.   Chandos Arms                                                                                                       11.9                        

27.   White Hart Wanderers (or Originals?)  (or Red Cow?)                                         11.9        

28.   Chearsley Cricketers                                                                                             11.1                                                              

29.   Crown B (Charlton on Otmoor)                                                                              10.8                              

30.   Red Cow                                                                                                                10.0                        

31.   Safari Garden                                                                                                        10.5        

32.   Bull & Butcher A                                                                                                      9.1        

 

Division Five

 

33.   Red Lion SA                                                                                                           10.6

34.   Launton S&SC B                                                                                                    10.1        

35.   Hundred Acres                                                                                                       9.3

36.   Poachers Pocket, Chilton                                                                                        8.0                        

37.   Eight Bells                                                                                                                5.4                        

38.   Abingdon Arms    

39.   Nightingale                                                                                                              5.4

40.   Black Bull Divas                                                                                                      5.5        

 

Division Six

               

41.   White Lion B                                                                                                          10.3

42.   Fountain B                                                                                                               8.9

43.   Fountain A                                                                                                               8.7

44.   Plough Marsh Gibbon                                                                                              8.5                        

45.   Royal Oak                                                                                                                6.6                        

46.   Crown, Gawcott                                                                                                      5.9                        

47.   Butchers Arms, Fringford    

        48. Phoenix                                                                                                                     5.0        

 

BICESTER AUNT SALLY INDOOR LEAGUE

 

Annual General Meeting

22nd September 2015

held at The Ex Services Club, Bicester

 

            Apologies:  Brian Gough

 

1.     Welcome  -  Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again. 

 

2.     Finance  -  The secretary/treasurer produced a copy of both the accounts and the bank statement. 

 

He explained that, although he had paid the website administrator £75.00 at the end of the 2013/14 season he had forgotten to deduct from it from the brought forward figure.  So, instead of having £167.02 in the bank at the beginning of the 2014/15, we only had £92.02.  This only came to light when a cheque was made out and presented for the trophies at the end of the season – and it bounced.  So, to ensure there were sufficient funds for the trophies – and the £35.00 administrative fine from the bank - the treasurer paid into the bank £100.00 of his own money.  Because it was his fault initially, the treasurer is willing to pay the £35.00 fine but the league owe him £65.00.  That will be recovered when sufficient weekly match subscriptions have been collected.

 

All were happy with that and the paperwork was a true record.

 

3.     Election of officers  -  Phil Allen will continue as both secretary and treasurer.

 

4.     Constitution of the League  -  The Shakespeare have withdrawn from the league and the Highfield Social Club will be replacing them.

 

5.     Fixtures/Cup Competitions  -  The 2015 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 15th October.

 

There will be no blind pairs or handicap cup competitions.

 

Wanting to extend the season a little longer and to bring in a little more finance to cover the cost of the

trophies, it was decided to play each other team four times in league fixtures.

 

6.     Any other business  -  After much discussion and deliberation, it was decided that there would be no handicap system this season.

 

The match start times have been amended and will now be as follows:

 

7.45     8.20     8.55     9.30

 

With the league fixtures starting on 14th October, a practice night will be held the Wednesday before – ie on the 7th.

 

Billy Atwell will collect the weekly match fees and result sheets.

 

It was emphasized that teams must be more punctual and ready to start as soon as the previous game has finished.  Billy Atwell to monitor this.


************************************************************************************

 

BICESTER AUNT SALLY  LEAGUE

Annual General Meeting

29th January 2015

held at The Shakespeare, Bicester



Apologies:            Robbie Bryant (Muddy Duck), Paul Mitchell (Eight Bells), Ted Houlihan (White Lion), Clive Griffin

                               (Fountain A), Jim Harris (Launton S&SC B), Dave Smith and Dave Wheeler (Ashton Club), Tony

                               Hutt (Red Lion Finmere)

 

1.     Welcome

Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again.  (Note: same number at the meeting as last year (22), but this time there were 11 teams represented). 

2.     Minutes of the last meeting

       It was agreed that the minutes produced were a true record of the meeting on 30th January 2014. 

3.     Finance

Keith Skinner produced a copy of the accounts which were distributed to those in attendance. 

 

4.     Election of officers

 

Nomination                  Proposer                      Seconder

 

                   Chairman/MC         George Deans               Kevin Powney               Ian Lee)   Proposed, seconded

                   Secretary               Phil Allen                           Kevin Powney               Ian Lee)   and voted for en bloc

                   Treasurer                Keith Skinner                  Kevin Powney               Ian Lee)

 

5.     Constitution of the League

The Kings Head A, Fritwell and the Blacks Head will not be taking part this season as their pubs have closed.  It is understood the Kings Head B team will continue but at a different (and yet, unknown) venue.

The White Lion, Fewcott is closed at the moment but expected to be up and running before the season starts.

Refurbishment is still ongoing at the Red Lion, Wendlebury and expected to be so until the end of June.  So, for the first couple of months of the season, their team will continue to play home fixtures at the Red Cow, Chesterton (as they did for the latter part of last season).  It will then be reviewed as the season progresses.

With regard to new teams, the Hundred Acres are likely to be getting a side together and joining us.

The Crown, Charlton on Otmoor (2 teams) and the Red Lion, Islip have shown an interest in transferring across from the Oxford League.  The Red Lion team to play at the Nut Tree, Murcott as their second team. The secretary will do everything possible to accommodate them.

PS:  Since the meeting the secretary has been contacted by the Phoenix, Steeple Claydon who wish to rejoin the league.

Registration forms were available at the meeting and taken by team reps.  For those not in attendance, they will be sent out or emailed in the next few days.

 

6.     Fixtures/Cup Competitions

The 2015 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 22nd April. 

As in recent years, there will be no free weeks in the fixtures – unless, of course, it’s a cup week and teams have already been knocked out.

It has been suggested/requested that consideration be given to splitting the singles (and, maybe, pairs) competition into a “divisional” affair (ie where entrants play opponents only from the same division in which they play).  This was discussed at the meeting and looked favourable.  It will be looked at by the secretary.  An alternative is to divide it, perhaps, into one competition for those in the Premier, Divisions One and Two and another for those in the remaining divisions. 

 

7.     Amendments to Rules

The only change to the rules for the forthcoming season was the year in the title – from 2014 to 2015.

8.     Any other business

The secretary thanked Hook Norton Brewery for supporting the League last year and confirmed that he had spoken to the rep about continuing to do so next season.  She will discuss it with the powers that be at her end and come back to the secretary.

The secretary stated that, as he did last year, he will produce a “Matchday-type” programme for Finals Night and has asked for any contributions – humorous/factual articles or photographs – to be forwarded to him.

The standard of some of the throws (lighting and backsheets generally) could do with some improvement; anyone requiring any equipment should contact the secretary who will do his utmost to help.

Terry Hawkins emphasised that more thought be given to the selection of venues for the team knockout competitions.  He gave as an example that last season the Nut Tree travelled all the way to the Muddy Duck at Hethe.  The secretary took this point on board.

Kevin Powney pointed out that there are far too many foot faults.  After a great deal of discussion, it was believed that the best way to handle it – without causing too much bad feeling – is to ask team captains to keep an eye on their own players and have a word with transgressors.

Liam Merchant asked what policy there is relating to the top doll scorer for each division.  The secretary explained that it was done in 2011 but, because of the additional cost of those trophies and then the sarcasm received relating to the quality of them, it was decided not to continue.  It will be looked at again.

Martin Wanless requested that the names of registered players (whether they’ve played or not) be shown on the weekly Individual Scores sheet.  This would then prevent any cheating or late signing-on of players.  It must be borne in mind that “new” players can only be registered up until the midway point of the league fixtures.  This will be done as requested.

George Deans requested that we all look at raising the profile of Bicester Aunt Sally.  His suggestion is that we look at holding “Family Days” whereat non-players and children can participate.  He will put something together and advertise the first of these events.  It is then hoped that other member pubs and clubs will follow suit and hold their own.

Keith Skinner asked that any “sixes” should only be recorded if scored in a league fixture (and not in any cup competition).  This was accepted and will be the case.

As treasurer, he also asked that Registration Fees be paid before 31st March.  This was discussed and agreed.  If made after that date an additional fee of £5.00 will be required (£40.00 instead of £35.00).

 

 

BICESTER AUNT SALLY INDOOR LEAGUE

Annual General Meeting

22nd September 2014

held at The Ex Services Club, Bicester


Apologies:  Richard Butler

 

Welcome  -  Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again.

Finance  -  The secretary/treasurer produced a copy of both the accounts and the bank statement.  All were happy it was a true record.

Election of officers  -  Phil Allen will continue as both secretary and treasurer.

Constitution of the League  -  Adam Lazaruk confirmed to the secretary that Chearsley Cricketers will not be entering a team this year although some of their players from past seasons would be turning up, hoping to get a game with other teams.  Because of their withdrawal, the Shakespeare will be entering a team.

Afternote:  Since that change over, the secretary has been approached by three other teams wanting to join.  So, the interest is still there!

To save confusion, it was requested that one of the Black Bull teams change their name.  As the A team has less Black Bull “regulars” in it, it was suggested that they change.  They’re going to be the “Misfits”.

Fixtures/Cup Competitions  -  The 2014 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 15th October.

Wanting to extend the league and cup fixtures a bit beyond mid-February, the secretary will arrange another couple of cup competitions.  A suggestion by Billy Atwell is to have a pairs competition where the top-of-the-averages player is paired with the one at the bottom, and then the next best is paired with the one next to the bottom, and so on.

Any other business  -  Billy Atwell proposed a handicap system and handed around a copy of his suggested handicaps.  These were discussed at length and accepted for both the league fixtures and knockout cup competition. 

The handicaps are going to be as follows:

 

Misfits                                Scratch

Shakespeare                      Scratch

Black Bull                           1

White Horse                       2

White Hart                          2

Ashton Club                       3

Ex Services                        4

Red Lion                              5

 

It was requested that the secretary get hold of two practice dolls.

 

With the league fixtures starting on 15th October, a practice night will be held the Wednesday before – ie on the 8th.

 

Billy Atwell will collect the weekly match fees and result sheets.

 

It was emphasised that teams must be more punctual and ready to start as soon as the previous game has finished.  Billy Atwell to monitor this.




_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Annual General Meeting

30th January 2014

held at The Shakespeare, Bicester

 

            Apologies:  Martk Holling (Red Lion, Stratton Audley), Martin Wanless (Plough B, Bicester), Roger Herbert

       (Red Cow, Chesterton) and Clive Griffin (Fountain, Steeple Claydon)

 

1.     Welcome

 

Phil Allen (Secretary) welcomed everyone to the meeting and expressed his pleasure at seeing so many in attendance once again.  (Note: whilst there were 22 at this meeting, there were only 9 teams represented). 

 

2.     Minutes of the last meeting

       It was agreed that the minutes produced were a true record of the meeting on 31st January 2013.  Proposed

       by George Deans and seconded by Keith Skinner.

 

       Matters arising:

 

            The constitution of the league – between last year’s AGM and the end of February (when entries were required by), the league constitution rose once again.  From 40 teams the previous season, we jumped to 44 for the 2013 season – three divisions of 8 teams and two of 10.  But then, one of the Ex Services teams pulled out before the season even started and the KEA club fell by the wayside half way through.

 

            The Red Lion, Wendlebury and the Nut Tree, Murcott joined us from the Oxford League

 

3.     Finance

 

Catherine O’Connor produced a copy of the accounts and confirmed that she would be standing down as treasurer.  The Chairman thanked Catherine for her assistance.

 

4.     Election of officers

 

Nomination                  Proposer                      Seconder

 

                   Chairman/MC         George Deans               Billy Atwell                    Keith Skinner)   Proposed, seconded

                   Secretary               Phil Allen                      Billy Atwell                    Keith Skinner)   and voted for en bloc

                   Treasurer                Keith Skinner                 Robbie Bryant               George Deans

 

5.     Constitution of the League

 

A copy of the final league tables for season 2013 was produced.

 

The secretary had not been notified of any teams who intend to pull out.  The Six Bells pub has closed and its Aunt Sally team will be moving to the White Hart, Bicester – giving them two teams.  Martin Wanless had intimated to the secretary that he didn’t think the Plough B, Bicester would continue next season (PS: he has since confirmed that they will not be.  This could affect relegation/promotion).

 

                   Robbie Bryant stated he thought the Butchers Arms, Fringford would be interested in joining us.  The

                    secretary will get in touch with them.

 

Registration forms were available at the meeting and taken by team reps.  For those not in attendance, they will be sent out or emailed in the next few days.

 

6.     Fixtures/Cup Competitions

 

The 2014 league fixtures will commence on Wednesday 23rd April.

 

As in recent years, there will be no free weeks in the fixtures – unless, of course, it’s a cup week and teams have already been knocked out.

 

Kevin Powney suggested that we try to fit in a four pairs competition – possibly to invited teams – to be played perhaps, on a Tuesday evening.  The secretary will look at the feasibility and when it could possibly be played.

 

7.     Amendments to Rules

 

The only change to the rules for the forthcoming season was the year in the title – from 2013 to 2014.

 

Mark Holling, although not at the meeting, had contacted the secretary to propose that the calling/picking up should be as in the Indoor League – ie, a member of the non-throwing team would call for the opponents throwing at the time and, likewise, the non-throwing team would also provide someone to pick up.  This was discussed and voted upon but not carried.  It will stay as it is with the home team doing both.

 

8.     Any other business

 

The secretary thanked Hook Norton Brewery for supporting the League last year and confirmed that he had spoken to the rep about continuing to do so next season.  She will discuss it with the powers that be at her end and come back to the secretary.

 

The secretary stated that, as he did last year, he will produce a “Matchday-type” programme for Finals Night and has asked for any contributions – humorous/factual articles or photographs – to be forwarded to him.

 

The standard of some of the throws (lighting and backsheets generally) could do with some improvement; anyone requiring any equipment should contact the secretary who will do his utmost to help.

 

A winter indoor league has been set up with matches played on a Wednesday evening in the Ex Services club.  This season we managed to get eight teams and, with two pitches, that gives each team two games a night. 

 

To assist with the purchase of trophies, Billy Atwell proposed and Keith Skinner seconded that the registration fee be increased to £35.00 per team.  This was voted upon and carried.

 

       Keith Skinner referred back to the minutes of the 2011 AGM where it was agreed that, in the pairs, both

       players must be from the same league team, and no substitute is allowed in any of the future rounds.  He

       proposed, and Eddie Gordon seconded, that a substitute should be allowed providing he/she is a registered

       player for that team and hasn’t already played in the competition as part of another pair.  This was voted

       upon and carried.

 

      Before closing the meeting, the Chairman thanked the secretary for the work put in over the past year.